Ahh...it's a new year! Nothing like fresh ambition in the air to get you excited. How do you turn your new year's resolutions into a habit that can change your life? Let's talk about six principles you can use to create fulfilling goals that will leave you inspired to work hard and leave you smiling!
1. Create a goal with meaning. Identify what is most meaningful to you. Determine what is important to you and worthy of your time and energy. I love the quote by Andrew Carnegie, "If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes."
2. Write your goal down. Hang it in a spot where you will see it daily. Read your goal every day.
3. Make a plan. Break it down into smaller, achievable action items. Picture your goal as if you had already accomplished it.
4. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on. I once heard a story about a fisherman and a bucket of crabs. This fisherman didn't have to worry about losing any of the crabs he put into the bucket. Why? Because when one crab started to climb and attempt to escape the bucket, the other crabs would drag him down. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on to achieve your goals instead of pull you down.
5. Share your goals with others. There's nothing like being held accountable by others to help keep you motivated.
6. Believe in yourself. Here's the hard part. People will tell you that you might not accomplish your goal. Maybe they think you're not good enough or that your approach is completely wrong. Maybe it's even your own voices telling you to give up now before you get hurt or fail. Here's my advice. Don't listen to them. You. Are. Good. Enough. Seriously, when you put everything on the line, there will be people who try to drag you down. Maybe they are caught up in their own self doubts or insecurities to be able to fully cheer you on.
Consider some of the following worthy goals or focus on the one you know you need in your life at this time:
- Spending quality time with each child. Check out a great blog post Gentri wrote on Special Time
- Being more present with my spouse/significant other
- Learning a new skill or improving one you love, such as photography, fishing, or writing.
- Making myself a priority. Here are some great tips to help you be at your best.
I apply these principles to achieve my goals. I'll share one example. I decided to become a black belt in Wonjin Hapkido (martial arts) in December 2018. This goal was lofty and many, many people didn't think it was possible to achieve, and to be honest, I didn't always believe I could. However, by using these principles, I achieved my life-changing goal. It was hard physically and mentally, but I love tying on my black belt every day as I continue my training. My black belt means so much more to me after working so hard to earn it.
We have all thought of new year's resolutions, but did we set ourselves up for success in achieving them? It takes a lot of effort and dedication to put your goals into action. Use these six principles and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. I wish you all the best in achieving your dreams that lift you up, inspire you, and motivate you to continue on. Which principle do you think will help you the most in achieving your goals?