Frequently Asked Questions
Help Me Grow Utah offers free information and referrals on parenting, child development, and pregnancy. We provide parents with the following information through phone calls, emails, text messages, and mail:
- Developmental Questionnaires: Questionnaires to help you know if your child’s general development and behavior are on track
- Activities: Age-specific activities to strengthen your child’s development and your parent-child bond
- Information, support and resources: Referrals, research, and answers to any questions about pregnancy, parenting tips, and child development
Our services are offered at no cost. We’re grateful for the donors that support Help Me Grow Utah to allow families to access these services.
Help Me Grow Utah offers screenings to help you track your child’s development, understand their unique strengths, and find areas where extra support is needed. We offer:
- The Ages & Stages Questionnaire, to look at your child’s general development
- Social/Emotional Ages & Stages Questionnaires, to look at your child’s behavior and social-emotional development
- The Edinburgh Screening, to look at parents’ well-being during pregnancy and after childbirth
- The M-CHAT, to search for autism risk factors
Your child can be as young as 1 month old. The Ages & Stages Questionnaires go up to age 5 years old to look at your child’s general development and behavior.
The frequency of the Ages & Stages Questionnaires varies based on the age and needs of your child. Parents may complete this questionnaire at anytime by visiting bit.ly/ASQenglish.
- • Age 1 month – 1 year: every 2-3 months
- Age 1 year – 2 years: every 2-4 months
- Age 2 years – 3 years: every 3-6 months
- Age 3 years – 5 years: every 6 months
Help Me Grow Utah strives to offer the Social/Emotional Ages & Stages Questionnaire to look at your child’s behavior around the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd birthday. In addition, we offer it when a parent expresses a concern. Parents may complete this questionnaire up to age 5 at any time by visiting bit.ly/asqse
Absolutely! The majority of families participating with Help Me Grow Utah don’t have any concerns. It’s a great tool to better understand the skills your child may be able to do. When parents understand child development, parenting becomes easier and expectations of a child become more realistic.
Absolutely! Each child is unique, including twins. The Ages & Stages Questionnaire can help highlight your child’s strengths along with any areas of development that need a little extra support. You can add a child with one of the following options:
No. Your doctor or the person who referred you believes you can benefit from our services and hopes you will participate. A continually growing number of families find value in the services we offer.
Help Me Grow Utah knows it’s difficult to pack up your family and make a special trip. So, we only offer convenient contact methods: call, text, mail, or email. (If necessary, we do make referrals to local community organizations, who may visit you in your home.)